Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

TOGO'S!

Togo's #9 with extra mustard and pepperoncinis. 
Eating said sandwich on the beach along hwy 1 north of Santa Cruz


Togo's Sandwiches! A California staple. Amply packed sandwiches filled with all the sandwichy goodness you could ever want. When I moved to Seattle, this was one of the first things I began to dearly miss. 

I was a vegetarian from 1989 to about 1997 (thank you Minsk), so my Togo's sandwiches of choice was their egg salad with extra mustard and cheddar or the cheese and avocado. My friend Brendan likes the #9. Hot pastrami with extra mustard and pepperoncinis. That's why the above photos were taken. He's in Oklahoma City now with no hope of having a Togo's #9 within 1500 miles, so I torture him with this.

Now, Togo's doesn't have the best sandwiches going. They are quite good and you get a lot for what you pay. Tasty soft bread, quality ingredients. It's like Subway or Quizno's.... only good.

2 comments:

  1. No mention of Togo's is complete without a mention of their avocado. They don't add a couple slices, they add a huge thick layer of mashed avocado. My family would buy the family-size #24 (turkey and avocado) probably once a month when I was growing up. The avocado and cheese that you mention is not always on the menu but it's #21 for reference, and they'll always make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish I'd taken a photo of my cheese and avocado sandwich, but I was too busy scarfing it down to take the time to take the pic! But seriously! They use an ice cream scoop to pile on the avocado!

    ReplyDelete